1. What is the primary objective of the Local Private University Programme?
The programme aims to enable high-potential Bumiputera students from B40 income background to pursue undergraduate degree in selected in-demand subjects and local private universities in Malaysia.
2. What is the value of the Local Private University Programme scholarship?
Scholarship will cover the costs of tuition fees and living expenses as estimated by the university over the full study period.
3. Are there preferred institutions for the Local Private University Programme scholarship?
The scholarship is open to all Bumiputera applicants with at least a conditional offer to below university and undergraduate programmes:
|Institution||Field of Studies|
|Universiti Teknologi PETRONAS||Engineering: Electrical & Electronics|
|Multimedia University||Creative Multimedia: Animation|
|Creative Multimedia: Visual Effects|
|Engineering: Electronics in Telecommunication|
|Heriot-Watt University Malaysia||Engineering|
|Business and Management|
|Sunway University||Computer Networking and Security|
|Taylor’s University||Engineering: Electrical & Electronic|
|Finance & Economics|
|Monash University Malaysia||Banking and Financial Management|
4. Does YDD help scholarship applicants to secure a place at the university?
No, all applicants are expected to obtain their own programme admission from the university of their choice.
5. Will scholars be bonded?
There is no service bond attached to the Local Private University Programme scholarship.
6. Will the scholarship be continued to postgraduate study?
No, the scholarship is for undergraduate studies only.
1. What are the eligibility criteria to apply for the Local Private University Programme scholarship?
Applicants must meet all of the following criteria:
- Malaysian Bumiputera (including Peribumi Sabah, Sarawak and Orang Asli) whose total household income not exceeding RM4,850 per month;
- Have secured offer letter to the relevant institution, starting their first year;
- Minimum CGPA 3.0 in pre-university programme, or first semester degree programme;
- Strong in academics and extra co-curricular activities; and
- Fulfil other required personal traits and selection criteria.
2. Can applicants with admission to a part-time /distance-learning/ twinning university courses apply to the Local Private University Programme scholarship?
Students who are currently pursuing part-time, distance-learning, or twinning courses are not eligible for this scholarship.
3. Can applicants who have already started the programme apply?
Only applicants who are about to start or just starting their programme will be considered.
5. What other requirements must applicants meet for the scholarship?
We require successful applicants to satisfy medical requirements prior to being offered a scholarship.
1. How can one apply for the Local Private University Programme scholarship?
When the application submission date is open, you can click on the Apply Now button in the Local Private University Scholarship page on our website to complete the online application form and follow the application instructions. Please note that this form is only available online.
2. When can applicants start applying for the Pre-University Programme scholarship and when will they know if they have been successful?
Please check the announcements on our website, Facebook and Twitter pages for scholarship selection period and submission deadline. Shortlisted applicants will be notified within four weeks after the application closing date. For applicants seeking admission to later academic intake, we encourage you to first gain admission before applying for this scholarship.
3. Do I need to submit separate application if I have received conditional acceptances from multiple institutions?
Applicants are required to submit their application for their first-choice institution and undergraduate programme only.
4. What happens if I have not secured a place in any college or university?
We require applicants to show evidence of acceptance from their institution of choice and that they have satisfied the conditions of entry prior to being offered the scholarship.
5. Do applicants need to mail their certificates in to YDD?
All supporting documents are to be uploaded with the scholarship application form. Only shortlisted applicants will be asked to submit the hardcopy of their verified certificates and academic transcripts when they are invited for an interview.
6. Can I appeal your decision if I am not shortlisted?
All decisions on the selection of scholarship awards are final.
For other information not covered in this FAQ section, please email us here.